Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Wrangler From Hell (The Movie) (Read 17,529 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Wrangler From Hell (The Movie)
Jun 18th, 2009 at 4:58pm

We have taken the most popular case study from our Picogroup area and made a movie out of it.

This is a 2003 vehicle with an unsolved problem since day one.  It had made the rounds up and down the West coast where many technicians tried but failed to solve it. 

The buck was stopped with a PicoScope.   Wink

Enjoy:

http://www.autonerdz.com/flash/wranglerfromhell.html

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

brandonb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

arizona, Arizona, USA
arizona
Arizona
USA

Re: Wrangler From Hell (The Movie)
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2009 at 6:12pm

awsome; thanks (x2) for taking the time to present case study, its always better when theres a movie,  gives it a classroom (shoptime) feel,................................................you have 45 psi when the problem occurs, if i were to see this i would have said good(without all the time on screen to compair), i mean 45 psi on alot of cars is good for running compression, i would have thought that the 45 would be enough to compress and breakdown the molecules of fuel for combustion, the main problem would be that the better part of the mixture would be going out tail pipe before spark ignites it? i would have figured it would have shown on the intake valve opening vacuum of the compression waveform, this kind of stuff is tricky, was there anykind of lifter noise?   im not that familiar with gas but on that same token if you were to make it richer would it quit missing?

i make my living on oem engineering blunders

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 9:57am

Thanks, Brandon.

There was no lifter noise.  It was tight not loose...until we placed the washers under the rocker stands   Wink

The lack of compression does not explain the misfire completely.  There were other factors.  The wind over the spark plug as the compression rushed out the exhaust valve as well as the possible induction of exhaust gasses into the cylinder, diluting the mixture.  Just theory.... Huh

We did induce some added fuel just for kicks during the misfire and it had no effect.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

daveyK
Super Nerd
Picogroup

(Retired) - Elevation:
525 feet

Hellertown, PA, USA, Pennsylvania, USA
Hellertown, PA, USA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 11:16am

Great case study and presentation Brian & Tom.

Thanks!

Do you have any prerelease info on the transducer adapter?

Thanks,

dave

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 12:51pm

Emailed you that stuff, Dave.  Hoping to have something more this time next month.   Wink

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 2:32pm

Yes, thanks for this presentation Tom.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

James
Picogroup

Savannah, GA, Georgia, USA
Savannah, GA
Georgia
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 4:44pm

Tom Roberts wrote on Jun 19th, 2009 at 9:57am:
The lack of compression does not explain the misfire completely.  There were other factors.  The wind over the spark plug as the compression rushed out the exhaust valve as well as the possible induction of exhaust gasses into the cylinder, diluting the mixture.  Just theory.... Huh

We did induce some added fuel just for kicks during the misfire and it had no effect.

Since it was an exhaust valve hanging open, I would think some of the explosive force of the power stoke would be diverted out the exhaust too. This won't show on the pressure capture as that cyl. is not firing with a pressure transducer hooked to it, but it's probably what effected the fuel trims some. I would like to have seen if the trims settle back near zero after the lifters were replaced. It might also be a good idea to run a video scope in the cyl. just to make sure the valve hasn't burnt any and the seat still looks good.

Very good movie that really shows the power of the new 4000 series PICOs. I don't need a scope everyday, but when I do it's good to know that it's not one that's going to be holding me back. Even though OEM scan tools are getting better everyday, a good scope still comes in handy to find those rare problems that always seem to find there way to my bay, not to mention that it's one of the most powerful diagnostic tools that's not OEM specific.

It's sad that the owner had to live with the problem from day one with many visits to the shop. A lemon law could have been put to use on their part if the Dealer's couldn't correct the problem after many visits. Just think of the premature damage done to the Catalyst over the years. Anyway, I bet they're happy none-the-less to have the problem finally fixed and grateful that it ended up in the hands of someone who could trace it down (not just the simple stuff).

IP Logged

Rafael Alvarado
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Dalton, Ga, Georgia, USA
Dalton, Ga
Georgia
USA

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 7:54pm

Thanks for the presentation Tom and Brian,

Im going to dig deep into my wallet to buy me the new PICO . . . absolutely powerful.

P.S.  Keep me posted on the new transducer kit as well.

Thanks

Rafael

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2009 at 9:02pm

James,

The fuel trims didn't change much with the misfire present and when it was not.  Much more detail on that in the full discussion thread in the Picogroup area.  Perhaps it had to do with the fact that the event was over about the time the T-stat opened.

Quote:
It might also be a good idea to run a video scope in the cyl. just to make sure the valve hasn't burnt any and the seat still looks good.

I'm confident this was covered, as the head had to come off again to change the lifter. 

Quote:
It's sad that the owner had to live with the problem from day one with many visits to the shop.

The dealer owned this one.   Grin  Used car dept.  I think it's been sold now and is on the road again doing what it was made for.  It has been passed around all up and down the coast.  The buck stopped with the PicoScope.   Cool

Rafael,

Quote:
Keep me posted on the new transducer kit as well.

Thanks,

We will announce it on the forums when we are ready.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

T. Pike
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Thomasville, North Carolina, North Carolina, USA
Thomasville, North Carolina
North Carolina
USA

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2009 at 2:11pm

Thanks Tom and Brian for putting together the movie to follow the details of how you did the troubleshooting on this vehicle. It was easy to follow your progress to determine what the problem was. Thanks again for taking the time to share this with all of us.

Terry

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 7:56am

tom,
can we download your movie to keep for ourselves?  if so, how?  i tried, but can only see it when connected to the internet.

great movie, by the way!  some of what i saw on the compression waveform (when misfiring) doesn't seem to match up to what i've learned about tight exhaust valves, but that just makes it more interesting.
thanks.

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2009 at 11:01am

Quote:
can we download your movie to keep for ourselves?

Sorry, no.  This Flash format is designed for web viewing.

Glad you enjoyed the movie.  Feel free to share the link with others.   Smiley

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

bjones6
Freshman Member

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 6:22am

Just watched the film and just wanted to say -- Excellent!
A good display of diagnosis without striiping the engine to pieces, as some other service agents had done.
Someone obviously missed that cam sensor as well.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2009 at 8:14am

Quote:
Just watched the film and just wanted to say -- Excellent!

Glad you enjoyed it.  Thanks for watching   Wink

Quote:
Someone obviously missed that cam sensor as well.

That issue was quite recent and solved easily.  Interesting that the list of possibilities for those codes in the factory information did not include the cause.  Kinda like an ASE question...the real answer was none of the above  Tongue 

The cam sensor issue was just a distraction on top of the #6 misfire problem.  Kinda have to attack multiple problem vehicles by clearing the obvious problems one at a time and see what's left.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Stuart @ Bradbury Motors Ltd
Freshman Member

Edinburgh,Scotland,Uk, United Kingdom
Edinburgh,Scotland,Uk
United Kingdom

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 3:22pm

Great Diagnosis and process of locating a tricky fault. Always a nice feeling of satisfaction solving a problem that got the big shop boys beat! Anyway this question is probably a technical language issue as im from the uk, but can you explain how you done the running compression test with a transuducer? Many Thanks please post more movies like this they are very educational,informative and make the public realiize just how complex the systems are under the hood.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2