Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Autonerdz forums

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
firstlook (Read 150,372 times)
mdog
Picogroup

Woof! Woof!

Everett, WA, Washington, USA
Everett, WA
Washington
USA

Re: firstlook
Reply #45 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 7:21pm

I found out something about the Fluke PV350 and trying to use it for determining TDC.  It was 25 degrees LATE.  I used the CKP sensor to give me the true TDC.  Has anyone else checked to make sure their PV350 was really telling the truth?  This is the only car I've ever tried to verify the PV350's accuracy on, but I don't think I would trust it to tell you the true Top Dead Center on an engine.

IP Logged

Rick Hill
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #46 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 8:25pm

Yes I'm aware of it.  How many degrees late it is depends on the engine speed the time value is fixed. As long as your not using your transducer to check timing against electrical signals it all relevant though.  Some transducers are faster than others but I think you'll find all are slower than the electrical signal. As long as you are aware of the delay you can compensate for it when checking what the transducer sees against an electrical signal such as your doing there with the crank sensor. If you dig around in the archives on iatn you'll find some vacuum and running compression waves put up by some fella from Russia or maybe it was a link to his site and his transducers were very fast. I remember questioning him about them at the time and the delay was almost nothing as compared to my pv/500.

Rick Hill

IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #47 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 10:20pm

there is a "work around" for the delay thing IF you have ANNOwave , i have taken the waveform out of the Pico 6 capture here and stacked up three of them , they are all "transparent" and can be crunched or expanded or whatever to fit 720 degrees on another Pico 6 capture -
the instructions of how to do that are in the help file , i think

the delay in the FLS sensor is 84 degrees different than the Fluke PV 350 at idle in ONE capture that i have .

also , it looks like it is very important that the PV 350 be dead nutz set on zero BEFORE capturing waveforms     now i dont know if i have a stuck open intake valve on two cylinders or an un zeroed PV 350 , the difference here is 6.6 mv     , cylinder 6 has something stuck open and i thought it was an exhaust valve    , but i dont see that here
ACE Misfire flagged it as well      

mwebb  
IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #48 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 10:29pm

ACE Misfire Flags Misfire on Cyl 6   

mwebb  
IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #49 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 10:42pm

Quote:
I found out something about the Fluke PV350 and trying to use it for determining TDC.  It was 25 degrees LATE.  I used the CKP sensor to give me the true TDC.  Has anyone else checked to make sure their PV350 was really telling the truth?  This is the only car I've ever tried to verify the PV350's accuracy on, but I don't think I would trust it to tell you the true Top Dead Center on an engine.

AES [and maybe AutoNerdz ?] sells a shielded lead that will lessen the RFI you are capturing with the FLuke PV 350 -      

mwebb  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #50 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 10:34am

Like I was telling you, the gas stretttttches; so the electrical is the ONLY way to go to get TDC- the Fluke is no tool to use to determine TDC in the first place. I mean it is not an inaccurate tool so much as it is the wrong tool to use.
   Imagine a tank of gas and the fuel sloshing in it. If you give the gas a shove from one side of the tank, it doesnt register on the other side of the tank till the wave created gets there. Like a wave created by wind a thousand miles away across the ocean takes days to make the crossing and land in Oregon to the south of Tom. If you had a scope and measured the shove where it shoved, it would show you when the shove happened but the Fluke cant record it till it gets to Oregon (and thuslythere  made an impression on the Fluke). These principles and phenomenons are what the OEM is dealing with when he mentions resonance and introduces valves into the intake and high speed runners and idle or mild load runners.
   Gas is more stretchy than liquid. The action of the motor operating actually involves inertia... I mean, the intake is pulling that air in and if you really pulled that piston down hard past BDC and slammed the intake valve shut AFTER BDC; a bit of air kept entering the chamber even though the piston was either stopped or on it's way back up... it was pressurizing even though the piston was attempting to squeeze it back out, by inertia- much more noticeably than liquid which is non-compressible.
Resonance is more like vibration than a simple wave (like on the water example), so I imagine a LOT of what we see with these transducers is due to it.  It would be more hash-like and would appear at differing load conditions, but only under the right ones, like say, idle only or cruise only. I am impressed with how you fellows have been figuring out the FLS. Thanks.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #51 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 12:12pm

I spoke late; a good man already had clarified the Fluke thing.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #52 - Jun 20th, 2007 at 2:25pm

i am not looking to find TDC , because it isnt lost  .   i am looking to find exactly where the exhaust valve opens and closes    and where the intake valve opens and closes in relation to TDC or something else .
                  with ANNOwave i can find both , now i can overlay a 720 degree running compression waveform ontop of 720 degrees of another capture and see exactly where things happen so i can figure out what went wrong or didnt go wrong .
                   many thanks to Jorge Menchu at  AES for building the ANNOwave software .

the page got pretty busy , anyway after matching the horizontal time to equal 720 degrees for all objects  i can now move that running compression overlay anywhere and line up the exhaust valve opening EVO of the running compression waveform with the EVO of the FLSe sensor waveform and i can see exactly when everything else happened for that cylinder ,     outstanding .
i could put up 8 overlays at one time or i can simply drag the 1 around to see what i want to see .
                this is exactly what i wanted .
also the option to add in horizontal cursors in either side bar is available but this page is kinda busy already   .

for those that want to find TDC put the pressure sensor on a purge valve , command it open , measure time between command and  transducer response .  build that time as kentucky windage  into your measurements  .
or think about it and come up with your own way . it's  easy , My Mom could do it .
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2007 at 8:35pm by mwebb »  
mwebb  
IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #53 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 9:53pm

same mercedes 1983 380sl  3 cylinders

another feature of ANNOwave - here is a 1983 Mercedes 380sl
cylinder 2 6 7 running compression . the running
compression waveforms are transparent and i can load them
over 2ndary spark with FLSe captures to see what happens
when which valve is open .

and unknown to me , another option . ANNOwave ANIgif
running compression

mwebb  
IP Logged

mdog
Picogroup

Woof! Woof!

Everett, WA, Washington, USA
Everett, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #54 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 5:25am

For Mike Webb,

Your getting good with that Anno Wave.  I'll have to try some of those features out this weekend Cheesy

IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #55 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 8:12pm

http://www.quantex.ru/portal/methodics/gas.aspx

this is a russian web site , i dont speak russian , but it looks like they are quite a bit ahead of the Americans on the use of pressure transducers ?  how on earth did that happen ?
bablefish will translate parts of this .   

mwebb  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #56 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 7:14am

Lest we forget....The Russians were first in space and first to land on another planet.   Shocked

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #57 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 10:09pm

color=#ff0000]Chernobyl sunrise - and how many "hot" spots dot the ocean floor ? from soviet nuclear powered submarines with system failures , crews forever preserved by the radiation that permeates the areas they are now resting in ,  half life of the melted reactors measured in millions of years .
  [/color]

but they do have us beat on pressure transducer use , i think , still cant translate easily 

mwebb  
IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #58 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 7:31pm

with the ANNOwave software using the ANI gif option , a previous image -  much smaller fingerprint than the russian website flash presentation -  ok theirs is better , but mine is in english and it was made in America .   

mwebb  
IP Logged

mwebb

Reply #59 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 9:45pm

maybe i have figured out how to slow down the ani gif , here is another way to mark off 720 degrees , this time i use an overlay of the running compression waveform , then use vertical cursors to show exhaust valve open and close , this shows misfire on cylinder 2 .  there is restricted flow as marked by ripple in the FLSe waveform from carbon or ? the exhaust valve is not leaking because there are no Higher pressure exhaust valve opening events as a leaking exhaust valve would create . 

mwebb  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8