Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Autonerdz forums

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Magic Jack (Read 7,267 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Magic Jack
Aug 28th, 2009 at 8:45am

There were a few of our group asking about alternative free calling to our conference lines.  We mentioned the popular Magic Jack as a viable alternative.

http://www.magicjack.com/

We just recently discovered that this service is, in fact, too good to be true and the advertising promoting this device is false and misleading:

"YES! magicJack allows you to call almost anywhere in the world.

Call from your magicJack from any country to the U.S. and Canada and the call is free.

Call from a magicJack to a magicJack in any country and the call is free.

Call from the U.S. or Canada to the U.S. or Canada and the call is free.

Call from your magicJack to another country, other than the U.S. or Canada, and you must prepay for international minutes."

Our main conference line is a number in Iowa.  This number can no longer be called from a Magic Jack.  We have no idea how many other numbers are being blocked so you can't call them.

The Magic Jack is not a viable device and is falsely advertised.  Just thought everyone should know.  We apologize for suggesting this to anyone.   Embarrassed

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Randy H.
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Tools are only as good
as the Tech holding them

Bardstown, Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Bardstown, Kentucky
Kentucky
USA

Re: Magic Jack
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 6:41pm

Hey tom. If you want a good cheap phone service, Vonage is really pretty good. Everything is very straightforward from what my friends tell me. And their calls are very clear. I have another friend that has magic jack and he says it works - sometimes. Whenever I call him ( he lives right across town) half the time I can't get through. I believe it all depends on what phone service the person you are calling has.

Randy Hatton
Fleet Technician
Elevation: AVG 648 ft.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:58am

Thanks for the tip, Randy.  We have a similar one through Comcast.  Same setup.  Works well. 

We did try the Magic Jack one too.  Think that one is going to go into the trash.  Going down hill in a screaming tailspin...

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

xmrgoodwrench
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Portland, Oregon, USA
Portland
Oregon
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2009 at 4:11pm

Sorry if I'm a little outside of the scope of this topic.  Yeah, there may be compatibility issues with some Key Systems or PBX's.  Sure the marketing is hype.  Although it may not be of use for your conference system the product does indeed work.  For example if you don't have a land line, want or need continuous VOIP service, you can still reliably use Magic Jack to call out on.  Instead of using mobile service minutes waiting on hold I have used this product many times to call into various organizations that do have PBX systems.  It works well for me personally.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 3:28pm

I'm glad someone had a good experience with it.  Wink

For us, it has been less than useless.  Sometimes it worked well, but most of the time it was an exercise in reconstructing a conversation from every third word.   Tongue  The quality was so poor it was impossible to use.

Then they started blocking numbers and, from what I understand, cutting people off when they made too many calls.

Anyway, it's in the trash can now.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged