Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Autonerdz forums

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
COP probe or extension leads? (Read 14,207 times)
Dan Spatig
Freshman Member

Broadstairs,Kent,UK, United Kingdom
Broadstairs,Kent,UK
United Kingdom

COP probe or extension leads?
Sep 22nd, 2009 at 4:48pm

Hi guys,
I was just wondering if the COP probe (PP338) can do everything that
using the COP extension leads could do or are there some applications that require the leads?

We have the probe but I have yet to use it on a cartridge type coil pack, can these be tested with the probe for individual cylinders?

Thanks

Dan

danspatig  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: COP probe or extension leads?
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 5:32pm

Dan,

The COP probe works on most COP coils but not all.  Alternatively, you can capture the primary, with standard test lead and attenuator, if they are externally driven.  This will also give you the spark line information for combustion analysis.  The COP probe is handy for convenience and also for those applications where the igniter is inside the coil and there is no primary access.

For those that have internal igniter and are also well shielded so the COP probe has difficulty, the COP extension leads are the alternative.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

john racic
Guru Member
Picogroup

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 6:36pm

Anyone else try experimenting with the Snap on flags? (multicylinder secondary ignition scope adapters, EAC0056L00A, ...L02A, ...L03A).  We've had some success.  These pictures are from an 07 Dodge 2.0.  The 4 snap on flags are on the 4 cop units on channel a, and the pico probe is on the cop for cylinder #1.  They daisy chain, with flags of 3 and 1 available, giving coverage for 4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines.  As we continueto play we will try to get some scales setup to have relative firing voltages.  They are pretty similar to the picture from the pico.

ideas/suggestions/comments?

john and mike

ScreenShot256.gif (194 KB | )
ScreenShot256.gif

IP Logged

john racic
Guru Member
Picogroup

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 6:48pm

and here is a picture taken with the "stick" from snap on that sits across all 4 coil packs.  (channel d).

IP Logged

Jim_Wilson
Super Nerd
Picogroup

nothing to say

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 7:59pm

Tom,

Quote:
The COP probe works on most COP coils but not all.

Sorry if I've already asked (and forgot), but do you have a waveform to show how well this works with GM COP systems? Let's say... a 2002-2007 Envoy?

Thanks

I am not marketing any service or product.
Everyone happy now?

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 8:52am

Sorry, Jim.  I don't.  The 6 is COP and the V8 CNP?  Maybe someone else has an example.

You are welcome to try a COP probe out, if you want, and see for yourself.

Here is a thread concerning the Coil Near Plug style:

http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1166301626/6

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Dan Spatig
Freshman Member

Broadstairs,Kent,UK
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 11:12am

Tom,
Thanks for the info, so for coils with the drivers inside the ecu you can backprobe the coil multiplug using an attenuator and view the waveform as you would with a secondary clip on probe?

Is there a way to work out if they are externally driven or is it just a case of probing it?Although that wouldn't help on a non starter!

I couldn't view the CNP link so I assume it's in the Picogroup area?

Thanks for your help

Dan

danspatig  
IP Logged

brandonb
Super Nerd
Picogroup

arizona, Arizona, USA
arizona
Arizona
USA

Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:30pm

Quote:
Is there a way to work out if they are externally driven or is it just a case of probing it?
if it has 2 wires its externally driven if has 3-4 wires its internally driven.......(coil on plug only) this will get you in the ballpark

i make my living on oem engineering blunders

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 8:17pm

Hi Dan,

Quote:
for coils with the drivers inside the ecu you can backprobe the coil multiplug using an attenuator and view the waveform as you would with a secondary clip on probe?

Yes, you can view the primary voltage which, of course, will give you the same spark line information you would get from the secondary.

Quote:
Is there a way to work out if they are externally driven or is it just a case of probing it?

There is no substitute for the systems description and accurate diagrams.  Using a lab scope becomes more difficult without the vehicle information.  Factory information as found in a system like Alldata is invaluable. 

Quote:
I couldn't view the CNP link so I assume it's in the Picogroup area?

Yes it is. 

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Dan Spatig
Freshman Member

Broadstairs,Kent,UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 7:57am

brandonb wrote on Sep 27th, 2009 at 1:30pm:
if it has 2 wires its externally driven if has 3-4 wires its internally driven.......(coil on plug only) this will get you in the ballpark 

Thank you Brandon, that's really useful.

Tom Roberts wrote on Sep 27th, 2009 at 8:17pm:
There is no substitute for the systems description and accurate diagrams.Using a lab scope becomes more difficult without the vehicle information.Factory information as found in a system like Alldata is invaluable.

I agree Tom, there is nothing more frustrating than not having the info to understand how a system operates, unfortunately I have not seen anything in the UK that resembles Alldata.Autodata is not bad but does not seem to touch Alldata.

Thank you for your help.

danspatig  
IP Logged

john racic
Guru Member
Picogroup

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 6:09pm

Jim

Sorry, normally we see one of these every day, until we want to get a pattern!

We have had very good luck with the pico probe, and the snap on flags, on most cars.  But it seems the GM 4.2 is not one of them!

This picture is from an 04 Envoy 4.2.  The vehicle was not in for engine work at all, the right rear caliper was hung up. So we hooked up real quick to get this for you.

We took all measurements off number 5, it is the only one you can reach easily without removing anything.

Channel A is the pico probe.  We tried the snap on flag on B, but didn't have much luck, so we didn't keep going with it. C is coil amps for that coil only, and D is control voltage from the pcm, again for that coil only.

Mike was up in the vehicle moving the probe around.  He will post shortly on where he got the best pattern, the file has a lot of dropouts as he moved around.  I, being much less young, was on the ground running the scope.

The file is too big to post here, even saving "current waveform only" so we have posted it on the io site, "chevycop1".

john  

ScreenShot260.gif (126 KB | )
ScreenShot260.gif

IP Logged

Mike Lappert
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Middlefield, Ohio, USA
Middlefield
Ohio
USA

Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 6:58pm

I had a hard time finding a place on the COP that would give any signal at all, and as you can see, when we did, it wasn't very useful. I found the only place to get any signal was on the sides of the aluminum heat sink on top of the coil assembly.

mikelappert  
IP Logged

Bob Cultrona
Freshman Member

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 9:18am

john racic wrote on Sep 22nd, 2009 at 6:48pm:
and here is a picture taken with the "stick" from snap on that sits across all 4 coil packs.  (channel d).  

Thanks for posting this.......

Bob

IP Logged

Earl Davis
Guru Member
Picogroup

Charlotte-NC, North Carolina, USA
Charlotte-NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 9:43am

Hi John R.,

Is this the stick that you refer to in reply #3?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?store=snapon-store&item_ID=56329&group_I...

Thanks
Earl

Earl
jeeptech608 jeeptech608  
IP Logged

john racic
Guru Member
Picogroup

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 11:22am

Earl

Yes, that's the stick.

There are also flags, that can hook together

There's a one flag, a two flag, and a three flag

All four itmes listed here:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&SUB_Cat_ID=3058619&SUB_Cat_NAM...

The 2 flag is a new item, that we can see no use for at all.

The flag sets daisy chain together, like christmas tree lights, so with 2 3-flags and 2 1-flags you can do almost anything (except of course 10 cylinder engines.)  that combination gets you 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 cylinders.

The flags are more versatile, but more of a pain in the butt, since they don't really clip to anything.  we use masking tape to hold the stuff in place at times.  the stick you just hold over the top of the coil packs, all 3 or 4 (of course depending on your application, we do use it on 1 bank of a V6)) and you've got your pattern.

The stick comes in very handy on the cars that use three coils on the plugs on one bank, and three wires running to the other bank.

To make a strong point, these do NOT work on all cars.  We also have the Pico secondary COP probe, and have compared the 2 systems.  Some vehicles, like the above mentioned GM 4.2 simply must be too well shielded for either set to work.  But we have had very good luck with the Chrysler applications, and VW.  For us when one system does not work, the other one does not either.    

Either system does not, like almost all secondary pickups, give accurate voltage readings.  But they both do what they are supposed to do, so you in a very short period of time you know whether or not you have a secondary problem, and which cylinder.

To use these snap on systems you need an adapter.  You need female rca to bnc.  We use the same adapters we use for the chassis ears.  Then you can use the bnc to bannana adpters that comes with the pico set, and that Tom sells.  Or you could use dedicated bnc to bnc cables, and the bnc to rca adapter.

Any further questions feel fre to ask and we will do our best to answer

john

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2