Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Autonerdz forums

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Finally...They Are Here (Read 14,186 times)
Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Finally...They Are Here
Nov 17th, 2009 at 12:09pm

We got a batch of the Pico WPS500 pressure transducers in today.  Still sorting out some details but we have a page up now for them.  We will be updating this page with any changes.

http://www.autonerdz.com/wps500.html

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California, California, USA
Southern California
California
USA

Re: Finally...They Are Here
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2009 at 9:00pm

Hi Tom,

Does it measure pressure like the PV350 rather than pressure difference like the FLS...?

Can it measure wet pressure...?

Thanks,
Joe
Smiley

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 12:11am

tom,
in a previous reply you mentioned strange things happening with other transducers by snappy, ats, etc.  are these kinds of issues a non issue with this particular transducer?

here is your earlier reply:
"We have hit a snag regarding an odd behavior of certain types of transducers we had never really explored.  We are not sure yet, but it seems the type of transducer design as well as the materials impact this behavior.  Many we have looked at, as candidates for this new package, have tested perfectly on the bench but under dynamic conditions, found during a running compression tests, the negative pressures skew.  They show negative pressures that are impossible.

Many of this type are in use today and marketed by Snap-On, ATS and others.  These sensors are just not suitable and do not meet our standards for accuracy.  As you know, our group is a discerning bunch.  But, we are not being too picky here, these are all wildly inaccurate.  Some have software compensations that are designed to cover up the problem but they do not solve it.

We do think we are heading in the right direction with this and will soon be looking at an entirely different design transducer that I hope will not exhibit these issues.  Once we do, we will have something quite unique and superior.  We want to actually solve the problem, not cover it up. 

The goal here is to get a transducer setup that is versatile, accurate, and produces a clean detailed pattern.  More on this, as it develops.

We will eventually produce a presentation detailing the issues and comparing behavior of different units.  Hopefully along with one that is the way it should be...."

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Brian Haley
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Olympia, WA, Washington, USA
Olympia, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 9:59am

Joe,
     Yes this will measure pressure like the PV350, only much cleaner and capable of measuring very low pressures, used it yesterday to measure evap vacuum decay.  There are some examples on our store page http://www.autonerdz.com/wps500.html including fuel pressure.
When the zoom feature is used, the signal is AC coupled and the results are similar to a Firstlook. Otherwise it is measuring actual pressure.

Crackerclicker,
      Many of the transducers we tested were producing impossible results. For example, when compression testing with a custom probe built from sensor specs, we were finding vacuum readings on the intake stroke of -17 PSI.  From what I understand, this is due to the effects of both the time between pressure changes and sudden changes in temperature due to quick pressure changes. The pico transducer performs well under these conditions.

Brian
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2009 at 10:51am by Brian Haley »  

Brian Haley
Autonerdz.com

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 12:49pm

Joe,

Not running on all cylinders here at Autonerdz headquarters today.  Storm knocked out everything and I am at least temporarily back online until the next one hits tonight.  Brian is telecommuting today because he didn't get hit so bad at his place.

Brian covered it but I just wanted to add that yes, it does wet pressure.  In fact, it has a neat little bleed valve which allows you to bleed out all the air so that trapped air does not interfere with reading small pulses.

Also, just to repeat here what I posted in the Open Forum:

Autonerdz is having our 10 year anniversary on January 1st.  Hard to believe it has been that long since we launched this insane business venture.

We have been racking our brains trying to come up with a way to celebrate and give something special to our customers as a way of saying thank you.

We thought about all kinds of things but none that wouldn't cause someone to be disappointed.  If we gave 10% off for a time, for example, then everyone who already purchased that item would feel like they missed out and want the special extended to them.

So...we nixed all those ideas.  Just no way to prevent that from happening....

Oh, but wait.....no one has purchased one of these transducers yet...they just got here.  There is no one to gripe if we do a 10 year anniversary special on these.   

So, that is what we are doing.  We are starting the party early and you can get 10% off on this item until the end of the year.

Just enter '10years' as a coupon code in the online shopping cart during checkout, or call, to complete your order before Dec 31st.  This offer is subject to availability.  Cannot be combined with any other discount.  Only available when you purchase direct from Autonerdz.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 1:50pm

Brian,
Tom,

Thanks for your replies.

-----

Too bad about the storm, hope everyone/everything is ok.

Regards
Joe

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 1:51pm

So it's ok to use it to measure fuel pressure directly...

I don't imagine it could be used to measure oil pressure, could it...?

If so, how do you clean it out...?

IP Logged

Tom Hardaway
Picogroup

Joplin Missouri, Missouri, USA
Joplin Missouri
Missouri
USA

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 4:48pm

Brian Haley wrote on Nov 19th, 2009 at 9:59am:
Joe,
     Yes this will measure pressure like the PV350, only much cleaner and capable of measuring very low pressures, used it yesterday to measure evap vacuum decay.  

Brian do you have the file of that evap test?

Tom

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2009 at 8:19pm

wow! negative 17 psi is a helluva vacuum!  so, for example, the modis (and others) have software that "hides" this, or compensates?

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Brian Haley
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Olympia, WA, Washington, USA
Olympia, WA
Washington
USA

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:01pm

I uploaded the Evap test data file to the drop site.

Brian

Evap_test.jpg (109 KB | )
Evap_test.jpg

Brian Haley
Autonerdz.com

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 12:49pm

I understand it can be "wetted" with gasoline...

what about oil or atf...?

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 1:07pm

Joe,

OK, I'm sure.  Compatible with "Brake, clutch and other hydraulic fluids." 

Might be a good idea to flush out the chamber afterward just to keep it nice and avoid cross contamination..Cleaning is easy and covered in the included manual.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

john.

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 12:20am

well my xmas present is sorted! was going for renewing my group memebership! been in before i know what im missing! buisness is good so that will be next!

utooflyer  
IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California
California
USA

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 1:16am

Tom Roberts wrote on Nov 20th, 2009 at 1:07pm:
Joe,

OK, I'm sure.  Compatible with "Brake, clutch and other hydraulic fluids."  

Might be a good idea to flush out the chamber afterward just to keep it nice and avoid cross contamination..Cleaning is easy and covered in the included manual.
Tom, ok, thanks.  Wink

IP Logged

Rick Hill
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:59am

Should anyone want to make up their own adapters  and retain the original coupling to the transducer  they are Foster MFG. CO. 2 series.
   You can go to http://www.couplers.com/page.php?P=distributors and find a distributor nearest you.
  Attached is a pdf for the sockets and plugs available in the 2 series.

page3.pdf (91 KB | )

Rick Hill

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2