Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Autonerdz forums

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Test immobiliser antenna coil with Pico? (Read 16,031 times)
Dan Spatig
Freshman Member

Broadstairs,Kent,UK, United Kingdom
Broadstairs,Kent,UK
United Kingdom

Test immobiliser antenna coil with Pico?
Nov 19th, 2009 at 9:10am

Hey guys,
Does anyone know if you can test an immobiliser antenna coil with Pico?

I think there is a fault with the coil around the ignition barrel and i'd like to know if there's a way to test for a signal.

Cheers

Dan

danspatig  
IP Logged

nobbyclrk
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Thursday Island, Queensland, Australia
Thursday Island
Queensland
Australia

Re: Test immobiliser antenna coil with Pico?
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2009 at 11:38pm

Hi Dan
         I was shown how to test an immobiliser arial on a training coarse. He tried using an ATS 5000 DSO but had to use an equivalent differential scope because of the interferance from the lighting (in the class room). He demonstrated it on a Holden Astra.
   To check the arial he recomends the scope is set up at 10 MS/sec and +/- 500mv. Then connect the scope to a flat tip probe and slide the probe between the rubber cover and cowl to bring the probe into the magnetic field. Then insert the key or turn the key on. You should then see a very fast A/C pattern being generated by the arial.

I'm pretty sure when he demonstrated it to us he just used a loop of wire around the key instead of a flat probe. I haven't tried it myself but let us know how you go.

When eating an elephant, it's best done one byte at a time

IP Logged

Dan Spatig
Freshman Member

Broadstairs,Kent,UK
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 2:39pm

Hey Nobby,
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I thought I would get email notification of a reply and unfortunately this car has gone out before I read your reply.

An antenna did in fact cure this one but unfortunately I only went on the fact it had a resistance of 54.5 ohms and a piece of info I found said it should be 21.5 ohms. The new one was in fact 8.3 ohms!

A coil tester I bought showed that the coil was working (audio confirmation) but it must have been giving a weak/erratic signal. The waveform out of the immobiliser ecu to the engine ecu was exactly the same every time with the new antenna as opposed to the random ones with the old which may assist me in the future!

Thank you very much for your reply I will attempt to use your info when I can and get back to you with my results.

Cheers

Dan

danspatig  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 10:26am

Dan,

Quote:
I thought I would get email notification of a reply

Make sure you have enabled email post and board notifications in your profile under options.  Just checking the box when posting to be notified of replies isn't enough.  You must also enable it in your profile.   Wink

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Dan Spatig
Freshman Member

Broadstairs,Kent,UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 1:46pm

Cheers Tom

danspatig  
IP Logged