Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Autonerdz forums

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

WPS500 setup (Read 5,087 times)
Kai
Freshman Member

WPS500 setup
Jan 3rd, 2010 at 3:22pm

Hi Folks,

UPS delivered the WPS500 on new years eve and I took it to work on Saturday. What do you know, got a no-start 04 Passat with low compression. So I set up some custom probes and installed the sensor to get some in-cylinder readings. Well, was my first try to set up a probe and I think I need some help. No waveform is displayed. The transducer is charged and on. Could someone lend me a hand on how to setup some useful settings? I will have some time on Monday to play with the car and would like to do some hands-on training Smiley

Thanks for reading and happy new year everybody,
-Kai-

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: WPS500 setup
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 6:19pm

Kai,

Just in case you didn't get our zip file of custom probes for that I sent them again.  Check your email.   Wink

Unzip this and import the psprobe files into your PicoScope custom probes library.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 6:54pm

Kai wrote on Jan 3rd, 2010 at 3:22pm:
Hi Folks,

UPS delivered the WPS500 on new years eve and I took it to work on Saturday. What do you know, got a no-start 04 Passat with low compression. So I set up some custom probes and installed the sensor to get some in-cylinder readings. Well, was my first try to set up a probe and I think I need some help. No waveform is displayed. The transducer is charged and on. Could someone lend me a hand on how to setup some useful settings? I will have some time on Monday to play with the car and would like to do some hands-on training Smiley

Thanks for reading and happy new year everybody,
-Kai-

Hi Kai

First off I have a rule, don’t work on broken cars with any new tool I have just purchase.

Anyway that being said the first thing to know is when you turn on the WPS500 let it sit and watch it calibrate its self, You will see the range LEDs cycle through and then it’s ready.

I hope this gif file will help you set up for a compression test.

Mick

set_up_001.gif (153 KB | )
set_up_001.gif

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

Kai
Freshman Member

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 4:44am

Thank you guys, will put these information to good use.

Mick,
On that Passat, the timing belt had slipped. If found that out without the pressure sensor. Just wanted to see what it looks like on the scope and how the new toy works. Thanks for the helpful screenshot!

IP Logged