Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Autonerdz forums

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Dumb question from a newbie..... (Read 19,524 times)
Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Re: Dumb question from a newbie.....
Reply #15 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 1:23am

Hi Don,

I show the maximum using 3423 at 20 s/div (200 sec screen) and with the 4423, it would be 100 s/div (1000 sec screen).

Tom, just curious... How did you come up with 2000 seconds?

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Pena
Freshman Member

Reply #16 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 7:51am

Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Guys, for some reason I cant get the pico software to work. I was trying to get over some captures yesterday......and it woundn't  open the program. This morning, I'd removed it from my computer and re-installed it to no avail.

What am I doing wrong? Did I by accident moved a setting on my computer that is not letting it launch the software?

Has anybody come across this?

Every time I click on the Pico icon, I get a window that says "Picoscope has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

It was working good last week.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #17 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 9:12am

Carl,

Quote:
Tom, just curious... How did you come up with 2000 seconds?

200s/div selected from the time base drop down.  You have to have the hardware plugged in though....Not demo mode.

In demo I show max 20s/div selecting a 3423 and 50s/div selecting a 4423.

Pena,

If PicoScope is crashing immediately without displaying the splash screen, most likely you have a problem with your Dot NET Framework.  Try a repair on that and see if it helps.  Call us if you need assistance.

Toll free 877-628-4899

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Carl Grotti
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #18 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 9:33am

Tom,

Quote:
200s/div selected from the time base drop down.  You have to have the hardware plugged in though....Not demo mode.

OK, I thought that might be the case. I was in demo mode.

Carl Grotti
Forum Moderator
carl_grotti carl_grotti  
IP Logged

Pena
Freshman Member

Reply #19 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 12:35pm

Thanks Tom and Bryan. I did a dot NET Framework repair, I went to the Microsoft website and checked if I had the latest updates, I did. Still not working. Sad

Got a little busy during the day and can't keep on messing with this......for now. But as soon as I get I chance this evening I'll look it up and probably start from scratch.

I'll keep'ya posted.

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #20 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 3:31pm

Pena,

You mentioned on the phone that this happened after a Microsoft automatic update?  I still suspect the .NET.  Might have to remove and reinstall it. 

When you have a bit of time to mess with this we can get in there with you and poke around and see what we can find.  You've got me curious now and I don't mind taking some time to help you out since you will probably get a scope from us later anyway... Wink

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pena
Freshman Member

Reply #21 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 5:25pm

Tom Roberts wrote on Jan 18th, 2010 at 3:31pm:
Pena,

You mentioned on the phone that this happened after a Microsoft automatic update?  I still suspect the .NET.  Might have to remove and reinstall it.  

Yup. You were right all along.

When I originally installed the Pico program, it alerted me that I needed some file before installing it......if you know me, you'll know I didn't pay attention which file they were talking about, I just allowed it to install that file first (I'm thinking now it must've been the dot Net framework file) then it went ahead and installed the pico software. It worked good for a couple days. Then on Sunday, I started to go over some of the posts here and noticed I couldn't open the captures. Then when trying the pico program, it wouldn't launch. Huh

Fast forward to this morning. I deleted the pico software, then installed it. Still not working. On your suggestion, I repaired the dot NET file. Still not working. After talking to Bryan I went to the microsoft website and made sure I got the latest update. I did but the program still wouldn't launch........Arggggggggg. I wanted to drop my 10 lbs. sledge hammer on my PC........but I chickened out. Angry

This evening, I decided to start from scratch and deleted the Pico software AND the dot NET file (the newest version:  dot NET framework 3.5 SP1).......then I re-installed Pico thinking it would ask me again for the missing file (dot NET file??????????)..........Well, guess what? It didn't ask me for it, Pico is installed and so far, still working. Cool

When you have a bit of time to mess with this we can get in there with you and poke around and see what we can find.  You've got me curious now and I don't mind taking some time to help you out since you will probably get a scope from us later anyway... Wink

Oh yes. You can bank on that. I'm getting my ducks in a row.  Smiley

IP Logged

john racic
Guru Member
Picogroup

Reply #22 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 5:38pm

Pena and Tom

We have this problem on just one of our computers, the newest one, the only one with a dual core processor. (Of course it's the one that gets 98% of the Pico use). This was discussed a few months ago in the other section.

Once it automatically updated net framework pico was dead.  period.  does exactly as Pena describes above.  Box comes up, gives the exact same error message, and it closes.  Reinstalled, reinstalled, erased and reinstalled, (both pico and net.framework).  spent hours on the web trying tons of worthless feces.  Dead!

Odd thing is we have 5 computers with Pico on them, and 2 4423 scopes.  All run XP Pro.  Any combination of any computer or scope works fine, except that one.  Ain't the scope, both do it, and cannot even begin to get to demo mode.

The "fix" for us:

1. Use the system restore function and set the computer back to a time before the update.

2. Turn off automatic updates

3. Update "custom" and do not allow the computer to download any updates to net.framework.

We are hoping that someone comes up with a much better"fix" than we are using!  But this does work

John and Mike

IP Logged

crackerclicker
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Elevation 834 ft

Watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Watertown
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #23 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 8:53pm

tom, do you know if pico software has issues with 64bit operating systems?  i was under the impression that this was not a problem.

crackerclicker  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #24 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 6:46am

Crackerclicker,

Pico works fine with 64 bit Vista and 7.  I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on this PC.

It will also work with XP64 but not out of the box.  That takes some manual tweaking.

John and Mike,

Thanks for your input.  That is an unusual situation and only some PCs are affected.  None of ours have had this issue and we allow the updates.  No additional info on this yet.  

I suspect something just goes awry with the .NET update install. 

Pena,

Glad you got it going   Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2010 at 7:05am by Tom Roberts »  

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pena
Freshman Member

Reply #25 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 8:11am

Ok Tom,

here's what happening. After much grief I got it nailed and have identified the culprit.

Just like jracic said.

This morning when I booted the pc, it warned me that I needed an update......(duhhhh I've removed that file yesterday). Before updating, I launched Pico. It worked flawlessly. The required update listed a few things, among them..........."dot NET framework 3.5 service pack 1" (the one I removed yesterday) and "dot NET framework 3.5 family update for dot NET versions 2.0 through 3.5".......just for giggles I allowed it to update and as expected............Pico quit working.

There's something about that update that Pico doesn't like. BTW, my laptop has XP home edition, SP3 with a Intel Celeron 1.40 Ghz and 1.21 GB of RAM.

For now I'll keep from installing that specific update.

HTH

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #26 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 8:52am

There goes my theory.   Grin

I've passed this on to the Pico 6 team to revisit.  So odd that only a very few PCs seem to be affected.  I can't do much here to see what's happening since none of our PCs do that.   We have no XP Home editions though, just XP pro.  We do have a lot of XP Home users though that do not have this issue either.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

john racic
Guru Member
Picogroup

Reply #27 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 10:01am

Pena

Thanks, you confirmed a few things for us.

1.  It is NOT operating system, we are using XP Pro.

2.  It is NOT scope, it happens to you without one.

3.  It is NOT processor, we thought it might be the high performance one, but it is not.

4.  I am not quite as crazy as it seemed! (still up for debate!)

5.  Tom, we went through the Microsoft help database on removing net.framework.  3 seperate procedures, do in order until one works. 1, remove through add and remove programs.  2. Was more complicated, they said in a nice way you are screwed!  3.  Just walk the Appalacian Trail, you are getting it!  Involved changing registry, and all kinds of stuff like that.  But even after all that, as soon as it updates it happens again.

Thanks

John

IP Logged

Pena
Freshman Member

Reply #28 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 12:08pm

john racic wrote on Jan 19th, 2010 at 10:01am:
Pena

Thanks, you confirmed a few things for us.

1.  It is NOT operating system, we are using XP Pro.

2.  It is NOT scope, it happens to you without one.

3.  It is NOT processor, we thought it might be the high performance one, but it is not.

4.  I am not quite as crazy as it seemed! (still up for debate!)

5.  Tom, we went through the Microsoft help database on removing net.framework.  3 seperate procedures, do in order until one works. 1, remove through add and remove programs.  2. Was more complicated, they said in a nice way you are screwed!  3.  Just walk the Appalacian Trail, you are getting it!  Involved changing registry, and all kinds of stuff like that.  But even after all that, as soon as it updates it happens again.

Thanks

John

No problem. Thanks for pointing out that:

1.- Is not XP Home
2.- Not the scope. Hopefully I'll be an owner soon
3.- Not the processor......just like the owner, low performance....
4.- No comment on your sanity
5.- No kidding......I thought I was having a bad hair day.......ooopppsss. Not much hair left.

All I had to do was to go under add/remove programs and removed the stinking file.

IP Logged

markB
Freshman Member

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Cambridgeshire
United Kingdom

Reply #29 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:43am

Pena, I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with the .net updates. As others have also found, I have applied these updates with no problems.

As PicoScope is crashing as soon as you start and uninstalling the runtime updates fixes things, I assume the problems lies with the updates and so we couldnt make any changes to PicoScope to fix this.

I've taken a look at MS's knowledge base to see if I could find any issues. I found the "dot NET framework 3.5 service pack 1" issues here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951847 but I couldnt find any info on "dot NET framework 3.5 family update for dot NET versions 2.0 through 3.5." Did you have any KB reference numbers in the update?

Tom, I dont think this is the same issue as we have had previously. If I recall correctly, simply repairing the .net runtime installation fixed that one.

Mark Blocksidge
PicoScope 6 Team
Pico Technology
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3