Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Autonerdz forums

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Does anyone has ....... (Read 6,625 times)
Pena
Freshman Member

Does anyone has .......
Jan 23rd, 2010 at 1:10pm

Pico software installed on any operating system other than windows?

The last post got me thinking......and to be honest, I'm very disappointed at Microsoft.....Does Pico works without issues on Mac's? How'bout Linux?......I'm fond of Linux since is open source and you are not at the mercy of Bill Gates Tongue

Care to share???

Pena

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Does anyone has .......
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 4:38pm

Pena,

We have some Mac users.  There are posts here about how to do this with Boot Camp and other.. We are not equipped to support Macs.  There is no Linux PicoScope....yet.  Unless you want to write your own software.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

joecar+
Guru Member
Picogroup

Southern California, California, USA
Southern California
California
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 2:49pm

With a MacBook, it works better if you install WinXP via Boot Camp (i.e. boot the Mac with WinXP running natively), rather than running WinXP virtually on Fusion/Parallels (too many layers of software).

in native mode WinXP sees all the memory it can see (this is important for Picoscope buffering)...

otherwise in virtual mode, WinXP sees the memory that's left over after Mac OS X and Fusion/Parallels have gotten their big chunks...

also, in native mode WinXP will run faster.

IP Logged

Pena
Freshman Member

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:55am

OK, then.....

XP is better for Pico. If I know anything about microsoft.....they will probably drop it sooner rather than later.

Tom,

as much as would like to write my own software........Is not gona happen.......so, I guess back at the mercy of microsoft.

Any issues with the new microsoft operating systems..... nevermind Vista, but how 'bout W7?

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 2:10pm

Pena,

I went directly from XP to Windows 7 Pro 64 with this new Lenovo W500.  Just a few minor issues not having to do with the OS but other software on it...new video card drivers and stuff like that.  In short, love it.  Little bit of a learning curve but 7 is smarter than XP in many ways.

There are a few hurdles loading some applications, and some 32 bit apps do not work....Old apps that I wanted like AES Wave. 

Brian upgraded from Vista to 7 Home Premium and is really glad he did.  Vista was a nightmare for him...regularly unraveling itself for no reason.  Now no more problems.

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Pena
Freshman Member

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 6:25am

Thanks Tom, that's all I need to know.

W7 it is.

IP Logged

Mike Curtis
Picogroup

Toledo, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Toledo, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 4:25pm

FYI, if you are having a problem running a program on Windows 7 that you used to be able to do with XP just right click the Program Icon and choose properties... then click Compatibility and choose to run as XP..

WWW WWW  
IP Logged