Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Autonerdz forums

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

pico diagnostics latest beta version (Read 5,244 times)
Shaun Oneill
Freshman Member

Grand Rapids MI, Michigan, USA
Grand Rapids MI
Michigan
USA

pico diagnostics latest beta version
Jan 28th, 2010 at 7:13am

I just downloaded the latest version of pico diagnostics 2.1beta (think thats what it was)  from picos web site today.  i have had it on my laptop before and i was hoping to get the battery tester test that i have seen advertised.  is that included with this update? also is anyone using the battery test? is it accurate? all the hook ups are the same as any other batter tester.  is the cranking and starting loads enough to pass/fail and is running for 10 seconds enough to check charging? does it even check charging or is it just a battery/starter test?  the pico diagnostics seems pretty accurate in the playing around with my own car ive done as far as causing missfires and pulling spark plugs and cranking to cause a low cyl psi and it cathes all the little glitches i can make.  of course it wont ID the cylinder thats the culprit but it lets you know there is a problem.  PERSONALLY i usually dont use this software on a customers car b/c in the sake of saving time i want to ID the cylinder thats the problem in the relative cranking amps or exh pulses so i use those tests to ID problem cylinders and relative cranking compression or missfire diagnostics since the hookups arent much harder.  SO, who else uses this software as well?  Sorry for the long post with random scattered questions. This is my first post on this website and all the content and discussions seem first class with great info and great waveform sharing!  thanks!
-Shaun

IP Logged

rod_au
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Elevation: 19 feet

Grafton, NSW, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
Grafton, NSW, Australia
New South Wales
Australia

Re: pico diagnostics latest beta version
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 5:15am

Hi Shaun, I will have a go at trying to answer your questions.

Shaun Oneill wrote on Jan 28th, 2010 at 7:13am:
I just downloaded the latest version of pico diagnostics 2.1beta (think thats what it was)  from picos web site today.  

Yep, 1.2.1 I think. It's been around since middle of last year.

i have had it on my laptop before and i was hoping to get the battery tester test that i have seen advertised.  is that included with this update? also is anyone using the battery test? is it accurate? all the hook ups are the same as any other batter tester.  is the cranking and starting loads enough to pass/fail and is running for 10 seconds enough to check charging? does it even check charging or is it just a battery/starter test?  

This version has the battery test. I have had very mixed results with it though. I use it occasionally but get alot of errors and negative readings. i believe It will show internal resistance of the starter, condition of the alternator. ie ripple and output. and battery condition and recovery time. I find i have to be very precise with my battery initial charge and the time it captures for. If you leave it to long or not long enough you will get strange errors.

the pico diagnostics seems pretty accurate in the playing around with my own car ive done as far as causing missfires and pulling spark plugs and cranking to cause a low cyl psi and it cathes all the little glitches i can make.  of course it wont ID the cylinder thats the culprit but it lets you know there is a problem.  PERSONALLY i usually dont use this software on a customers car b/c in the sake of saving time i want to ID the cylinder thats the problem in the relative cranking amps or exh pulses so i use those tests to ID problem cylinders and relative cranking compression or missfire diagnostics since the hookups arent much harder.

Have you tried connecting a second scope lead? I think you will find it will recognise an injector of ignition signal to sync your cylinders. Don't forget the attenuator Smiley

SO, who else uses this software as well?  

Well, Me! I use it as much as i can. If I have a vehicle that I suspect a compression issue with I start with Pico Diagnostics relative compression test so I don't waste time on a 'crook' motor.
HTH's

(¯`·._.·[ 010100100110111101100100 ]·._.·´¯)
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

rod_au
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Grafton, NSW, Australia
New South Wales
Australia

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 5:24am

I meant to say Cranking Compression test! (not relative test)

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Shaun Oneill
Freshman Member

Grand Rapids MI
Michigan
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 9:50am

Thanks for the responses Rod!  the reason i asked about the battery test was b/c after downloading and rebooting i didnt see the battery test option anywhere on the program. 
   As far as using a sync i usually go off cyl1 coil or secondary or whatever is close and not buried.  so your saying pico diagnostics will sync to a cyl? obviously it wont know if im on cyl 1 or any other cyl but will this point of reference then become cyl A for example on the programs relative compression test?  to be honest i have not tried syncing with anything when using the pico diagnostics mostly b/c it doesnt direct you too. i will deffinetly try this next time to see if it gives me the accurate results your saying it does.  good job just trying it and figuring that out!  guess i was just too ignorant/lazy to even try  Huh   
     thanks again
-shaun

IP Logged

rod_au
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Grafton, NSW, Australia
New South Wales
Australia

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 12:45pm

Hi Shaun,
I should have elaborated a little more.

Quote:
obviously it wont know if im on cyl 1 or any other cyl but will this point of reference then become cyl A for example on the programs relative compression test?

Yep, exactly. The software still identifies the cylinder as CylA, CylB, etc. What I meant is if you show the waveform at the top of the program by clicking on the little message box  in the botton right that states something like
All cylinders are above ...%
you can see the sync signal from your second lead in the waveform at the top half of the screen.

I tried to add an attachment to show you what i mean. hope it works. Smiley

large_tmp62.jpg (111 KB | )
large_tmp62.jpg

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

rod_au
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Grafton, NSW, Australia
New South Wales
Australia

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 12:58pm

Quote:
to be honest i have not tried syncing with anything when using the pico diagnostics mostly b/c it doesnt direct you too. i will deffinetly try this next time to see if it gives me the accurate results your saying it does.  good job just trying it and figuring that out!

rod_au likes to key press and mouse click and even hover everywhere on new software!! Ya never know what the developers have added to the applications that isnt documented!
Smiley Wink Cheesy Shocked

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Shaun Oneill
Freshman Member

Grand Rapids MI
Michigan
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 1:25pm

thanks again rod! something happened durring my last download b/c i am still at beta v 1.1!!!  i swear i downloaded 2.1 and installed it said finished i rebooted but still no v 2.1!?!  i will remove program and start from scratch. weird. your screen shots painted a nice picture. much appreciated.  i'm usually one to click everywhere and go all over especially on pc based scan tools.  I think i have the first version of pico diagnostics still thats pretty basic. thanks again
-shaun

IP Logged