Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

rpm in pico scope automotive (Read 13,750 times)
mathias
Freshman Member

lidköping, Sweden
lidköping
Sweden

rpm in pico scope automotive
Mar 20th, 2010 at 4:26pm

hello

what is the easy way to see rpm in picoscope 6 automotiv?
i don`t find any?

regards
mathias

mathias  
IP Logged

Mike Lappert
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Middlefield, Ohio, USA
Middlefield
Ohio
USA

Re: rpm in pico scope automotive
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2010 at 5:20pm

When you drag in the vertical cursors, RPM and frequency appear in a small box in the lower right hand corner. It's a bit tricky, as it's calculated on time, not as a direct measurement, such as an inductive pick-up, so you can measure anything, and it'll give you an RPM calculation. If you measuring a cam signal, for example, you'll measure cam RPM, which equals 1/2 crankshaft RPM. If you use secondary ignition to calculate RPM, make sure you are on 2 power strokes, not a power and a waste (DIS system).

mikelappert  
IP Logged

mathias
Freshman Member

lidköping, Sweden
lidköping
Sweden

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 4:47am

hello

thanks Mike

regards mathias

mathias  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 8:12am

Mathias,

Here is an image measuring engine RPM by framing one crank revolution with the vertical rulers.

Quote:
If you use secondary ignition to calculate RPM, make sure you are on 2 power strokes, not a power and a waste (DIS system).

Mike, would you not want one ruler on power event and one on waste?  That would be one crank revolution right?  Of course, you could measure two power events and then multiply the RPM result by 2 to get engine RPM.

rpm1.gif (66 KB | )
rpm1.gif

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Mick
LSD Guide

I learn every day

Toronto 400ft, Ontario, Canada
Toronto 400ft
Ontario
Canada

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 8:45am

Tom Roberts wrote on Mar 21st, 2010 at 8:12am:
Mathias,

Here is an image measuring engine RPM by framing one crank revolution with the vertical rulers.

Quote:
If you use secondary ignition to calculate RPM, make sure you are on 2 power strokes, not LIKE a power and a waste (DIS system).

Mike, would you not want one ruler on power event and one on waste?  That would be one crank revolution right?  Of course, you could measure two power events and then multiply the RPM result by 2 to get engine RPM.

Tom

I was going to respond to Mike about this untill I added the word LIKE after the word NOT Cheesy

Mick

Mick
mick_3342 mikejonesautoengineering  
IP Logged

Mike Lappert
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Middlefield, Ohio, USA
Middlefield
Ohio
USA

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 9:02am

Right guys, my mistake. Thanks. Smiley

mikelappert  
IP Logged

Rick Hill
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Deceased

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2010 at 3:51pm

Basically all that rpm tells you is how many times the time period between the rulers will go into a minute or the frequency per minute of that time period.
In other words it multiplies  time period HZ or time period frequency per second by 60.
 It only tells the actual engine rpm when you have a known 360 degrees of crank time framed like Tom's example shows.
 I wouldn't pay much attention to it as you get used to using the scope you'll find it's relatively quick to find rpm from about any two signals you see once you know the frequency per revolution.
 Using that all the time to find rpm kind of locks you out of seeing speed changes during the course of a revolution.

Rick Hill

IP Logged