Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

HELLO FROM SC (Read 8,789 times)
Dr. Jake
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Deceased

Laurens SC (Jerkwater), South Carolina, USA
Laurens SC (Jerkwater)
South Carolina
USA

HELLO FROM SC
Apr 25th, 2010 at 8:05am

My name is Jake Payne. I've been car doctoring for 32 yrs in indepedant repair shop in Laurens. I've seen alot of changes thru tha yrs but this business of being able to communicate with other people in the same boat with a computer is the very best thing that has happened!! You folks are so fortunate to have this forum to better yourself. And someone like Tom Roberts that pours out his heart to you. I talk to him last week on skype and I was a total stranger to him. He was very friendly and I certainlty like to be here. I have always wanted to be a scope doctor but didn't have the support that is here. My scope was a fluke 97 and just couldn't get tha hang of it. Then I bought a OTC Solarity and it isn't hitting on much either. I guess my next will be a Pico..............aye. I am a Tip writer on Mitchell Ondemand5  ( www.ondeman5.com ) and enjoy it very much. We like you have many members (20,000) and only a few talkers but it grows. At first they were paying us for the best 3 tips every month and I was getting money and the big head. 250 dollars a month was nice but that stopped with the economy problems. I am looking forward to learning scope doctoring and will need lots of help. I have attached a Tip I did a while back to give you an example of how we help each other on Mitchell. I am well known there and have many friends all over the US and Canada. Thanks............jake

mitchell3.png (289 KB | )
mitchell3.png
Drjake907  
IP Logged

Dr. Jake
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Deceased

Laurens SC (Jerkwater)
South Carolina
USA

Re: HELLO FROM SC
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 8:06am

Another

mitchell1.png (238 KB | )
mitchell1.png
Drjake907  
IP Logged

Dr. Jake
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Deceased

Laurens SC (Jerkwater)
South Carolina
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 8:07am

One more...........aye.

mitchell2.png (656 KB | )
mitchell2.png
Drjake907  
IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 8:41am

Welcome, Jake.  Glad you could join us. 

I cut my DSO teeth on a Fluke 97 also.  I still have it but don't use it anymore.   Wink

Good tips there.  We discussed a similar case in Therapy a while back.  Here is the capture that tells all.

When you are ready, I know you will enjoy the "Autonerdz PicoScope Experience"  It will open up a whole new world for you.   Cool

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

Dr. Jake
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Deceased

Laurens SC (Jerkwater)
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 12:09pm

Tom, that looks like the wrong cam gear. The right one is like the picture. You would have a single spike and two sets between the next single spike. It goes 1,2,3,1,3,2,1 again. You know I spent from wed to sun scratching on that one and only wasted a cam sensor on it. I had to break it down to find out it had jumped time. Which raised some questions in my mind. There is absolutely nothing in the books about a limp mode or a protect mode. OR it will shut down the fuel if out-of-sync........aye.! I'm sure tha wiggly lines show someone it is out of sync in a few minutes or tell a story if you can read it. BUT coming up with the missing theory here is another thing. Unplugging the cam sensor makes the protect mode impossible because it doesn't have enough information and it goes to a secret limp mode. This makes people and did me replace the cam sensor. Won't run with it connected, so it must be defective..........aye. <NO> This right here has caused a GREAT deal of crap for many.  Automobiles today are loaded with trickness, the books have much missing or incorrect. Certainly can be a challenge to diagnose from time to time. Most days I can diagnose problems with only a few clues but I want to be more able to handle the bizarre too w/o getting the floor mopped with me. I will get a pico from you when I can. The probe and pressure transducer too. I've been playing with the first looker and it is interesting. I can't make up my mind if it is a knock sensor or an ear drum. Kinda reminds me of both. We are calling the first snap-on borescope the looker and the big one one the "gyno". We all had to get rid of the first one to buy the next one. Liliiljoe in Alabama sold his to the neighbor. He is not a mechanic. So we named the next one the gyno............hehehehe. We have a mechanic in Alaska that calls himself Dr.D, so the rest of us are all Doctors too now. I go by Dr.jake on Mitchell. After all the yrs maybe I am.............dunno. I certainly no doctor reading those wiggly lines but that can change in time. I believe it is the best way to go to get better and better at solving problems. Wish I had found this sooner. Again my hat off to you for all the teaching you do here. I will probably have some influence on others at Mitchell and perhaps we can go beyond just sharing pictures and words.
--jake

Drjake907  
IP Logged

Dr. Jake
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Deceased

Laurens SC (Jerkwater)
South Carolina
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 9:56am

GREETINGS NERDS.............hehehe

BACKGROUND.png (915 KB | )
BACKGROUND.png
Drjake907  
IP Logged

Dr. Jake
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Deceased

Laurens SC (Jerkwater)
South Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 4:38am

p-mode  is when the computer turns off fuel/fire to save itself.
Protect mode i call it.
A print me for ya wall........aye.

BITE_ME.png (20 KB | )
BITE_ME.png
Drjake907  
IP Logged

Dr. Jake
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Deceased

Laurens SC (Jerkwater)
South Carolina
USA

Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 3:44am

bRANDON--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhBiyoLcSzM

You will need to get those seals from a diesel pump rebuilder. The ford pack of seals no have the injector seal ya want sir. The video is lilijoe doing one. I think that instrument he uses is what ya need...aye.

Brandon there is two things that goes on top of inj seal.
1. a conical washer
2. snap ring

I would test fit the finished seal to rail to size it. And air pressure ck it after put back together. Shouldn't hear anything at all. The feeder tube has a ck valve. The air doesn't go to pump, stays in oil manifold..

Drjake907  
IP Logged

Dr. Jake
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Deceased

Laurens SC (Jerkwater)
South Carolina
USA

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 2:30pm