Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Pages: 1 
Hello from Australia (Read 20,523 times)
sidmann

Hello from Australia
Sep 30th, 2011 at 11:30pm

wonderful community you have here. just a little about myself, i have been involved in diagnostic for quite some time with my father. Even though i am not qualified, i am currently doing my course and finding it a breeze to get through Smiley

currently using carmanscan VG+ (scan/4 ch scope) and the G-scan for a year now.

IP Logged

nobbyclrk
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Thursday Island, Queensland, Australia
Thursday Island
Queensland
Australia

Re: Hello from Australia
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 11:38pm

G'Day Sidmann and welcome to the forum.

What part of this big brown sun burnt land do you call home?

When eating an elephant, it's best done one byte at a time

IP Logged

sidmann

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 11:42pm

g'day nobbyclrk, Sydney is home for me Wink

IP Logged

nobbyclrk
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Thursday Island
Queensland
Australia

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2011 at 1:31am

Good to hear. There's a few of us Sydney siders on the forum. I'm just up the road, lower mountains.

How do you compare your VG+ to the G-scan. I have the VG+, which some days I like but other days it can be a bit frustrating. And there's a few guys on here that use the G-Scan. Who are always impressed by it.
It would be interesting to hear from someone who use's both.  Smiley

Andy.

IP Logged

sidmann

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2011 at 3:24am

like you i too was getting frustrated with the VG+, i originally had the first VG and upgraded to the VG+ hoping the new display and processor in them would improve things. it did speed things up but the vehicle software updates they put out came with more bugs, and sometimes you have to revert back to the older versions and is just time consuming when u just want to get in there and the darn thing doesn't communicate with the ecu, so there u are checking if its your scanner that has the problem or the car. the VG has a 40GB Hard drive but really all the important software is on a 32MB internal memory yes 32MB!  and its sad to say that it now can not save all the manufacturers in there at one time. I'm sure you know what to do in that case. if u look at the Nex-tek website they now release a VG+ 64 which i'm assuming is a 64MB version. my update for the VG is due for renewal but i don't think i will be needing it since i got the Gscan.

the only thing i like about the VG+ is the scope and simul-scan, being able to send a voltage, pulse through the sensor signal wire and reading it in the live data to confirm wiring is fine instead of removing/back probing the ecu and checking the pins.

another thing about the VG+, what ever you do, never use the service reset feature for a VX commodore as it will stuff up the instrument cluster speedo, and the speed sensor pulse would need to be reprogrammed for correct calibration or get a new instrument cluster so do it manually. ASS will never admit that it is the scanners fault, but it is. i'm not sure if they have speedo correction added yet (hardly use VG now), but the gscan can do it.

now about the Gscan, its one fast unit. you will notice this as soon as you turn it on unlike the carmanscan when loading. you have a simple menu layout, and when doing diagnosis on the same car its very handy to have the previous vehicle button instead of going through all the drop down menus again. i would have to say this is the best for asian cars including those imports that show up. as for KIA and Hyundai the software is OE same as dealer so the user interface is different from the rest of the manufacturers, not hard to follow once you use it a few times.

its also great for holdens, as now you can link second hand ecu for the VZ onwards. i recently change the ecu for a 2002 nissan N16 pulsar, brand new unit would cost $2000, picked one up from the wreckers for $100, the fella wanted to sell me the whole thing with keys and immobiliser warning me its not going to work without it. we did the job with the pin number shown for programming mode whereas the VG would have made you get it from the dealer Roll Eyes

you can do a system scan to check the different modules that are present and number of DTC in there.

so to sum up, the only time i bring out the carman VG is when i need to use the scope to look at ignition, sensor patterns or simulate a sensor. but the Gscan is the first tool i would pull out when doing any diagnosis or programming. i haven't had any bad experience with it yet so hope that helps.

IP Logged

Brad H
Super Nerd

Elevation 367 metres

Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, Australia
Kalgoorlie
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2011 at 9:15pm

Dead on Sidmann, the speed ,accuracy and coverage is what makes this tool so good.
I had a VZ in recently on the hook and diagnosed it as a dead PCM.
Ordered a new pre-programmed unit from Injectronics in Melbourne and linked it to the vehicle.Only two tools are able to do this,Tech 2 and
G-scan.

I freqently do injector coding and SCV initializing on diesels.It will even do DPF re-generative burn-off on the latest captiva
The best feature of all is "system search".The scantool will interrogate the PCM for modules fitted to that particular vehicle.When complete,will list the systems supported in that vehicle with the number of fault codes (if any)
next to the module name.

Nextech once had a good name and product but have lost their way in the last ten years.The simu-scan feature was on the carman one I bought eleven years ago and was handy.
I stopped paying the subscription when I had an update with just a different file name.There was no difference in the software.

Lots of blokes I speak to have had bad experiences with the later carman product and have quit them.The comments I have posted on here and iATN have resulted in some blokes ringing me for more info about the G-scan.
The ones that have bought them have been wrapped.All except one.
He wasn't gonna be happy with anything he bought.  

DILLIGAF
blmechanical  
IP Logged

sidmann

Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2011 at 10:15pm

yes its very frustrating because the new updates need bigger internal memory, so what they did was break up the files

australian and usa
asian 1
asian 2
european 1
european 2
korean hyundai
korean kia

you can only save about 4 or 5 of the 7 up there at one time. then u gotta figure which asian or european is in what pack. delete the old pack from the internal memory to make room and load the new. this could take 5-10 minutes if your computer savy, i think the older mechanics would be pissed of if they don't know how to do it.

as for the internal hard drive it has, i use it to save webpages, some articles and repair manual so i can access them on the vg with out internet connection.

IP Logged

nobbyclrk
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Thursday Island
Queensland
Australia

Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 12:32am

Thanks sidmann for the feed back.  Smiley
You're pretty much echoing my thoughts on the VG+. Non communication, slow, causing problems with modules, and unloading/loading files.

Looks like the G-scan may be the nuts. Again you're saying exactly what Brad and Rod have been saying over the last year or so.

Cheers
Andy.

IP Logged

sidmann

Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 1:01am

once you use the gscan, you'll forget that you ever had a carman VG.

like brad said, nextek did at one time had a good name and product but not any longer

in sydney Peter Crump of mount auto equip is the guy you would want to speak to. yes hes a salesman, but also former tafe teacher and will provide you with the best support for the tool and any diagnostic help. known him close to 10 years now.

IP Logged

Brad H
Super Nerd

Elevation 367 metres

Kalgoorlie
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 2:06am

sidmann wrote on Oct 2nd, 2011 at 1:01am:
in sydney Peter Crump of mount auto equip is the guy you would want to speak to. yes hes a salesman, but also former tafe teacher and will provide you with the best support for the tool and any diagnostic help. known him close to 10 years now

I actually bought the G-scan sight unseen through Peter Crump.
Such is the respect I have for this bloke,I ordered it before the official release and after two conversations with him and seeing a picture.
He was also with the OTHER company right from the inseption of the carman range.

He is a one of the people I have the upmost respect for in this industry and is very honest about the products he supports.

DILLIGAF
blmechanical  
IP Logged

sidmann

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 2:29am

yes that is correct, the former petroject now automotive service solutions (ASS:D). i bought the first VG from him and upgraded to the VG+ after he left but still he provided the support i needed with the scanner. he even conducted the training in korea for all the other carmanscan users.

on friday we picked up a hanatech smoke leak detector from him and he did the recent gscan patch update for me while he was here. you would have recieved an email about it today:D

IP Logged

paul109
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Australia, Victoria, Australia
Australia
Victoria
Australia

Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 2:58am

sidmann wrote on Oct 1st, 2011 at 3:24am:
i recently change the ecu for a 2002 nissan N16 pulsar

hi sidmann....was that coolant in the idle control motor?

IP Logged

sidmann

Reply #12 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 3:07am

paul109 wrote on Oct 2nd, 2011 at 2:58am:
sidmann wrote on Oct 1st, 2011 at 3:24am:
i recently change the ecu for a 2002 nissan N16 pulsar

hi sidmann....was that coolant in the idle control motor?

yes indeed there was coolant in the idle motor, idle motor burnt out, keeps blowing the 15amp ignition coil fuse.

throttle body and new idle motor was replaced but still didn't get any signal to one of the pins. crack open the ecu and there was a burnt out IC.

symptons noted was idle stuck at 1500rpm,
when driving and coming to a stop the transmission downshifts hard.

IP Logged

paul109
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Australia
Victoria
Australia

Reply #13 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 3:24am

it`s hard to believe one  O ring can cause so much damage...and because the ecu is mounted in the air duct , the customers first complaint is the "burning Smell" Huh

IP Logged

sidmann

Reply #14 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 3:29am

paul109 wrote on Oct 2nd, 2011 at 3:24am:
it`s hard to believe one  O ring can cause so much damage...and because the ecu is mounted in the air duct , the customers first complaint is the "burning Smell" Huh 

hah customer mentioned the burning smell after we showed them the ecu and everything was fixed Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Kevin J
Picogroup

Lake MacDonald, Aus, Queensland, Australia
Lake MacDonald, Aus
Queensland
Australia

Reply #15 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 7:51pm

Just as a matter of interest what is the approximate cost of Gscan?

Lips Sealed

IP Logged

paul109
Freshman Member
Picogroup

Australia
Victoria
Australia

Reply #16 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 3:11am

with all the euro gadgets , about 7 all up

IP Logged

rod_au
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Elevation: 19 feet

Grafton, NSW, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
Grafton, NSW, Australia
New South Wales
Australia

Reply #17 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 5:33pm

paul109 wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 3:11am:
with all the euro gadgets , about 7 all up  
Money well spent. You canna hand a man a granda scanner Cheesy

(¯`·._.·[ 010100100110111101100100 ]·._.·´¯)
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

nobbyclrk
Super Nerd
Picogroup

Thursday Island
Queensland
Australia

Reply #18 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 12:53am

Refer to your 'Repco Trade Solutions'. This months special page 9. For $6995 or $42 per week you too can own your very own G-scan and they will throw in a 'Carbon Zapp fuel system tester'.

Smiley

IP Logged

Kevin J
Picogroup

Lake MacDonald, Aus
Queensland
Australia

Reply #19 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 2:16am

Excellent thanks for that

IP Logged

Nikk
Guru Member
Picogroup

Christchurch, New Zealand
Christchurch
New Zealand

Reply #20 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 4:09am

Looking at the same flyer over here and its $8495 for the G scan or $9850 with the Zapp flow fuel tester. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Brad H
Super Nerd

Elevation 367 metres

Kalgoorlie
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #21 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 3:51pm

Nikk wrote on Oct 6th, 2011 at 4:09am:
Looking at the same flyer over here and its $8495 for the G scan or $9850 with the Zapp flow fuel tester

That's competition NIK ,larger market with more competitors in Australia.
I don't think you would find better coverage than the G-scan given New Zealand's "love affair" with grey imports.

DILLIGAF
blmechanical  
IP Logged

Kevin J
Picogroup

Lake MacDonald, Aus
Queensland
Australia

Reply #22 - Oct 6th, 2011 at 4:09pm

Exchange rate wouldn't be helping either.

IP Logged

sidmann

Reply #23 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 10:59pm

i guess i got a pretty good deal with my gscan considering thats this months special.

brad, did you happen to get the wireless adapter with your unit?

IP Logged

Brad H
Super Nerd

Elevation 367 metres

Kalgoorlie
Western Australia
Australia

Reply #24 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 11:11pm

sidmann wrote on Oct 7th, 2011 at 10:59pm:
i guess i got a pretty good deal with my gscan considering thats this months special.

No mate, thinking about sourcing something to help "known good" screen captures being saved to my w/shop pc though.

and yeah, it does pay to deal direct!

DILLIGAF
blmechanical  
IP Logged

sidmann

Reply #25 - Oct 7th, 2011 at 11:17pm

Brad H wrote on Oct 7th, 2011 at 11:11pm:
sidmann wrote on Oct 7th, 2011 at 10:59pm:

No mate, thinking about sourcing something to help "known good" screen captures being saved to my w/shop pc though.

and yeah, it does pay to deal direct! 

same here, i forgot to save the data from the sd card before updating once and lost all my screen captures. also it would be good to have a nice diagnostic report printout for the customer

IP Logged

Pages: 1