Autonerdz Home Autonerdz FAQ User’s Comments Autonerdz Events Autonerdz Store Contact Autonerdz

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Autonerdz - Since 2000, North America's Authority on PicoScope

HomeHelpSearch Member Map Event CalendarRegisterLogin  

Is This Technicians Anonymous ? (Read 5,873 times)
MikeW

Is This Technicians Anonymous ?
Nov 4th, 2011 at 5:33am

I’ve been a mechanic/technician since ’69 working in a gas station in a small town in Oregon, my tool box is older than most of the guys I work with.
Got my first certifications in ’78, my first scope was a Sun 1115, try to put that in the passenger’s seat and go for a test drive.
Just in the last few years have I had to get into the high end tech of the automotive field, that’s how you stay employed in this economy.
I just purchased a Solus Ultra as my first personal scanner in 32 years, because I’m tired of working with the junk employers supply and expect you to work miracles with.
I’m very old school, I’ll help if I can, and we are all so way under paid for what we’re expected to produce for our employers.
When I started employers supplied everything except hand tools,

Gotta watch my attitude here,

Anyway, Tom invited me here, known him for over 15 years and I’m here to help other’s,

The one thing I’ve learned in all those years is anything could be the problem, hitting it won’t fix it, and if your swearing at it it’s time for a break.

oh yeah, I ain't even computer literate,,,,,, like I said, I'm very old school.

If I don't know, then I ask.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2011 at 6:05am by MikeW »  

No Scar No Story,,,,,,

IP Logged

Tom Roberts
Autonerdz Administrator
Picogroup

Autonerdz Founder

Olympia, Washington, USA
Olympia
Washington
USA

Re: Is This Technicians Anonymous ?
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 6:18am

Glad you are here, Mike.  An old dog can learn new tricks.  I learn something here every day.   Wink

Enjoy reading the LSD trips here.  Maybe soon you can start taking your own trips   Shocked

Tom Roberts
Forums Administrator

IP Logged

MikeW

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 7:49am

Don't worry, pretty sure I can get a Pico lit,,,, Cheesy

No Scar No Story,,,,,,

IP Logged

Manic Mechanic
Picogroup

Test don’t guess

Clovis California, California, USA
Clovis California
California
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 9:52am

MikeW wrote on Nov 4th, 2011 at 5:33am:
my first scope was a Sun 1115, try to put that in the passenger’s seat and go for a test drive..

That was my firts scope ,Ain't Technology cool

Just in the last few years have I had to get into the high end tech of the automotive field, that’s how you stay employed in this economy..

And this stuff is changing too fast  !!!!

I just purchased a Solus Ultra as my first personal scanner in 32 years, because I’m tired of working with the junk employers supply and expect you to work miracles with..

That's why I work flat rate, The tools  like the PICO scope make me faster and better with the help of techs like Tom !!!

I’m very old school, I’ll help if I can, and we are all so way under paid for what we’re expected to produce for our employers.
When I started employers supplied everything except hand tools,.

I miss those days

Gotta watch my attitude here,

Why , I whish we could go back to those days !!!

Anyway, Tom invited me here, known him for over 15 years and I’m here to help other’s,

Thanks Tom Wink

The one thing I’ve learned in all those years is anything could be the problem, hitting it won’t fix it, and if your swearing at it it’s time for a break..

Grin
oh yeah, I ain't even computer literate,,,,,, like I said, I'm very old school..

Yea Old School, Agin wish I could go back,In todays world technology is cool and we do things we couldn't do without computers, Emission and Horsepower at the same time ... Cheesy
If I don't know, then I ask.

Me too and this is a great place to ask ... Grin

WWW WWW http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=60071465  
IP Logged

DaveHindmarsh
Picogroup

england, United Kingdom
england
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 11:22am

Hi mike with that many years under your belt your going to teach me a thing or two pleased you joined you will enjoy this forum its full of great people who just love to share there skills  Smiley

IP Logged

rod_au
LSD Guide
Picogroup

Elevation: 19 feet

Grafton, NSW, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
Grafton, NSW, Australia
New South Wales
Australia

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 1:10pm

MikeW wrote on Nov 4th, 2011 at 7:49am:
Don't worry, pretty sure I can get a Pico lit,,

Grin Grin

Welcome aboard, Mike Smiley

(¯`·._.·[ 010100100110111101100100 ]·._.·´¯)
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

fisher
Super Nerd
Picogroup

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Concord, California, USA
Concord
California
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 5:22pm

Hi Mike. Thanks for the hitting it wont fix it and the swearing means it is time for a break. I hope you'll like your new tools.

Donald Bruce Gamble  
IP Logged

PRESTON
LSD Guide
Picogroup

"Fix like a champion today"

Jensen Beach, Florida, USA
Jensen Beach
Florida
USA

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2011 at 9:06am

hitting it won’t fix it

May not FIX it, but sure helps to locate that intermittent issue sometimes, ha ha ha.  Also helps relieve some stress I have found.  One of my favorite things to do in the shop when Im frustrated and working on a rust bucket is to wait for my manager to come out in the shop, put my ratchet on that iffy bolt, look at him and say as I'm twisting the wrench "I'm going to break this bolt...yep, better get me a new one".  He usually just shakes his head and walks away.  It's all in good fun though, before anybody freaks out on me here, never do it on something I can't fix.  Anyhow, welcome aboard Mike.  What small town?  I currently live in Clackamas and work in Portland.

Rogue Nerd in South FL
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

MikeW

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 6:46am

I grew up in Lake Grove, Worked for Ron Kester as an apprentice for three and a half years after I got out of the service, then opened my own shop in Sherwood, called Sherwood Auto Repair, sold it cause I couldn't afford the needed upgrades to the hundred year old building I was in, the town wasn't very big then, don't know, guess I was just to much in a hurry for success so I moved up to the Seattle area and started working in the Toyota dealerships, couldn't find one that wanted to change to the way I wanted to do things so I moved around a lot, had a very good rep for my work, it was my attitude that they had a hard time with,,,, go figure.
Only took about thirty five years for me to become docile enough to work with others,,,,, Shocked
I am ASE Master, Toyota Master expired back in ’01 when I left the field to find my since of humor again,,,,,,,
Now I work for a Corp that work only on Asian cars and trucks.
I have worked quite a few independant shops in those years, seems I have forgotten more than I've learned at times,,,,,,, Embarrassed
A divorce, thirteen different girl friends and things are starting to look funny to me again!
Cheesy

No Scar No Story,,,,,,

IP Logged